Via reading and writing workshops, we have much to learn this year, including:
* honing reading comprehension strategies: connections, questioning, inferring, determining importance, monitoring for meaning, and synthesizing
* writing in many genres and formats according to the 6 Traits model: ideas, voice, word choice, sentence fluency, organization & conventions
* building vocabulary by examining words in context, studying roots and affixes and exploring etymologies
* communicating and collaborating effectively.
* developing clarity, precision and power of thought, and then translating that to the disciplines of Literacy: reading, writing, listening and speaking